All the action from Tursynbay Kulakhmet vs Macaulay McGowan reported LIVE tonight

AWednesday's #MTKFightNight broadcast live in the US on ESPN+ in association with Top Rank, and worldwide on IFL TV.

Heavyweight hero Dave Allen's protege opens the six-fight card, minus Hassan Azim due to his team returning a positive COVID-19 test, headlined by the WBC International super-welterweight championship clash between World Championships bronze medalist Tursynbay Kulakhmet (1-0, 1KO) and Manchester's Macaulay McGowan (14-0-1, 3KOs).



Fight #1:

Super-Welterweight, 4 Rounds

Debutant Danny Murrell was cool and calculated in the opening rounds against Hyde's Dale Arrowsmith (2-37-1, 1KO). In rounds one and two he showed some real talent and decent boxing skills as he fought well at range and on the inside, landing all the time with uppercuts. He pivoted and switched stance to find different angles and openings and probaby surprised a few fans early on with his classy display.

The third was another easy round for the Denaby Main man, who found a home for his uppercuts very early on in the fight. His jabs were plentiful but they just bounced off the 26-year-old journeyman's high guard. It was evident that the youngster didn't possess any power and the hits weren't troubling Arrowsmith.

In the fourth and final round, 'The Choirboy' tried to walk Murrell down and tried hard to get the win, but the youngster, with Dave Allen in his corner, was evasive and smart, and displayed a maturity beyond his years. He landed the cleanest of left hooks with about a minute to go in the fight.

Murrell took the four-round decision at 40-37. The away fighter's determination saw to it that he shared at least one of the four rounds that he worked so hard in.



Fight #2:

Super-Welterweight, 6 Rounds

Basildon's Inder Bassi (2-0) used his reach and height to his advantage during the opener, Jack Martin  (3-0) dipping low, as expected, but was guity of leaping in and overreaching.

There were some classy and clever exchanges in the second round. Enthused by his success with an overhand right, Martin began throwing his shots in threes and fours with great success. The pair got tangled up on the ropes and time out had to be called for Martin's gumshield to be replaced. Bassi popped out his jab to end the second round.

Bassi controlled the round with his crisp jab and connected with some classy combos in the first half, but Martin landed a lovely shot as the klaxons sounded.

Martin had a great fourth round and found his way in to close the gap to bloody Bassi's face, who was forced to hold on more than once. Southminster's Martin then landed a right to the temple which was a terrific punch. Martin applied the pressure and and landed plenty of clean hits, especially a good left hook to the body. Bassi couldn't keep him off for the torrid three minutes.

Martin's workrate and unrelenting pressure was turning the fight in his favour after a difficult first round, but he has worked his way into the contest. In the penultimate round Bassi's output was almost non-existent. However, two consecutive jabs let Martin know he was still there. But then 20 seconds to the end Martin got the best of a brief exchange when he landed a flush right hand to the head.

In what could be three rounds to two either way, it was all set for a tremendous finish. However, the pair bagan the final round tentatively. Martin staggered Bassi with two right hands leaving Bassi with two minutes more to get through. He was clearly struggling with the pace Martin had set. He continued his assault and the stoppage looked possible as Bassi was badly marked up and the six-foot-tall 23-year-old looked exhausted. However, he bravely made it to the bell and even traded back in the final seconds to provide a fitting end to such a grat contest.

Martin clearly won the battle but each fighter could take lots away from that fantastic fight. Bassi began well, using his assets, and looked very sharp and focused early on, landing cleanly and cleverly, but Martin's determination, pressure and pace turned it into his fight to win.

Referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 to 'Ginger' Jack Martin.


Fight #3:

Light-Heavyweight, 4 Rounds

Southampton's Lewis Edmondson (2-0) landed some heavy blows very early on in the opening round and jorneyman Scott Williams (0-8) looked a little bothered in there. Although two right hands staggered the 32-year-old back to the ropes in the first round, so it was a good start for the Billy Joe Saunders' protege.

The 24-year-old was looking very sharp and was boxing very skillfully, with his hands down low, switching stance frequently. He was flicking out the jab to try to open Williams up and encourage the away fighter to throw something, but he was doing his job as the travelling man very well.

Edmondson landed a clean left hook just past the midway mark in the third, which sounded and looked heavy but it didn't have any effect on the Mancunian.

In the fourth and final round, it was the same cat and mouse story, with Edmondson landing a couple of nice uppercuts cleanly. Against Idris Virgo, Scott Williams had a go, but here he was back to the usual journeyman role, moving constantly and tucking up and holding whenever possible, just letting the seconds tick by to earn his pay packet. He thoroughly earned those wages as he was sporting a little blood at the end.

It was a typical learning fight for the loose and languid Lewie, as he bagged yet another four rounds, with a 40-36 score from referee Mark Lyson.


Fight #4:

Welterweight, 6 Rounds

Limerick's Paddy Donovan (4-0, 3KOs) was stepping up against former Southern Area title lightweight champion Jumanne Camero (10-6, 3KOs) in the evening's fourth fight. Camero has won his last three fights but there's a big buzz in Ireland over 21-year-old 'Real Deal' Donovan.

Southpaw Camero was straight on the front foot as the loose Limerick lad went on the backfoot with his hands low and his feet swift. Midway through the round, the tables had turned and the pair squared off in the centre. Paddy waited for Jumanne to open up so he could land a counter left hand to the body, but Camero also scored a nice right hand towards the end of the first segment. Donovan's handspeed looked very impressive and it was a good start for Andy Lee's man.

Camero agan came out aggressively at the start of the second round. He trapped Paddy in the corner midway through but he was happy to be there and landed his shots without taking any himself. Shortly after getting out of the corner, he was back there again and landed a blisteringly fast backhand straight down the pipe with a minute to go. He looked completely in control in there.

In the third, Camero was far more careful in his approach this time. It paid off as he landed a very clean, strong right hand to the home fighter's head early on in the corner. Enthused, the Londoner continued to apply the pressure. The pair ended the round at mid-range both looking to land their own. Camero had a good round, but the irishman stilled looked in full control of the contest.

Donovan was beginning to place more power into his punches and Camero's early success was negated by Donovan's superior work, landing one if the heaviest blows of the fight so far when a counter left hook rocked Camero's head.

The fifth was quite one-sided as Donovan landed plenty of nice punches and avoided almost everything that came back.

Donovan's concentration was good but caught a couple from Camero whilst stuck to the ropes in the sixth and final round. He landed two great left and right hooks seperately when there was just one miinute remaining. He then landed the same left hook to the head on the sound of the klaxons. It was six good learning rounds for the youngster from Ireland, who fought most of the fight on the backfoot, as the respectful pair ended the fight smiling at each other.

Official Ian John Lewis scored the contest 60-55 to 'Real Deal' Donovan.

From ringside, Barry Jones was highly impressed stating that Paddy Donovan was a kid going all the way. Post-fight, trainer Andy Lee said they were things to work on but he was very happy with his welterweight's performance and also revealed they were looking at getting him fights over in America.


Fight #5:

Super-Welterweight, 8 Rounds

It was a very even, hard to score first round between Jack 'Demolition Man' Rafferty (12-0, 7KOs) and once-beaten Tom 'One Bomb' Hill (9-1, 2KOs).

25-year-old Mancunian Rafferty, fighting a winning fighter for only the second time in his career, came forward and showed a higher workrate and success for the following few rounds, putting in a lot of hard work and setting a high pace.

Redcar's Hill had a good fourth round, the action being stopped briefly for the doctor to inspect a cut on Rafferty, who rallied back on the bell.

In the sixth stanza, Rafferty's one-twos and heavy combinations were pleasing to the eye. Hill continued to fire back, but his workrate and output was significantly lower.

It was a fantastic shootout in the seventh and penultimate round, as the pair took turns, both landed often on each other. Rafferty's blows always appeared to be heavier and were mxed to body and head. Credit to both boxers at this stage, neither looking that fatigued after so much energy spent in such a hard fight.

Spencer Fearon observed at ringside that Rafferty had successfully drawn Hill into his fight and was ahead on the scorecards because of that.

The pair spent the entire 24 minutes of ringtime in each other's faces, but the greater volume, intensity and power clearly came from Shaw's unbeaten Rafferty, who rightfully won on points 78-75.


Main Event

WBC International Super-Welterweight Title, 10 Rounds

Outstanding amateur Tursynbay Kulakhmet (1-0, 1KO) was straight on the front foot, cutting off Macauley McGowan (14-0-1, 3KOs) aggressively right from the start. Wythenshawe's unbeaten McGowan kept moving so the Kazakh couldn't set himself but he looked a little surprised at his opponent's bight start. It was a clear round for the southpaw and a hostile welcome back to the ring for the Brit who hasn't fought for almost 15 months.

Kulakhmet landed heavily with a lovely backhand body shot on McGowan and was then bundled to the ground when he doubled over. The same happened shortly after and this time the Eastern European was warned for pulling his opponent down. Kulakhmet was looking to finish the fight early as he powered in big shots one after another. 25-year-old McGowan was under a lot of pressure and pain in there and could only offer a couple of single shots in return.

In the third, a small nick appeared under the Brit's left eye. Kulakhmet was warned for pulling McGowan down for the second time in the fight. McGowan managed to fire back successfully with a straight right with a minute left on the clock. He was then told to keep his head up by the referee Victor Loughlin. Kulakhmet had slowed down slightly in this round and McGowan was offered a brief respite.

Into round four, Kulakhmet began from range boxing a bit smarter this time. McGowan responded to this style brightly, with more time and space to think and react. In the middle of the round, McGowan completely lost his feet and spun around and was soon looking through the ropes but he recovered well. This wobbly moment was due to the increasingly harder shots Kulakhmet was throwing. McGowan was brave and dug in, landing a shot, but eating three or four back for his efforts.

As the fifth round began, Kulakhmet has won every round yet. Ringside pundit Spencer Fearon described his punching power as monstrous. McGowan was still there though and still having a go. Kulakhmet tidied things up in the fifth, flicking jabs from his hip and moving his feet and head superbly. The round ended with Kulakhmet pushing McGowan to the ground who got up and walked to his corner with blood trickling from his eye.

Kulakhmet bowed his head respectfully to his opponent as the sixth started, seemingly in apology for the push in the previous round. McGowan got through with a jab but had to accept a harder backhand in return. Kulakhmet appeared to be getting frustrated with his negative opponent. The World Championships bronze medallist was warned again by the official for use of his forearm and was sternly instructed "no more!"

Kulakhmet was looking for one clean punch to hurt his foe and although he landed a couple of crisp backhands flush, McGowan didn't waver, who many might be surprised was still there by round seven after such a one-sided start.

Kulakhmet was becoming increasingly frustrated by his foe, who kept dipping his head low and holding. The Brit was still there and still throwing, but he was decked with a clever right hook over the top in the dying seconds, but it was more of a trip due to the clash of styles and entanglement of legs that put him down, but he received an eight-count anyway because it was a direct result of the two punches why he fell.

In the eighth, it was Kulakhmet's turn to hit the deck as he threw himself off balance. Every time he threw a punch, he then pivoted his body out of range with such ease. After yet another push, Kulakhmet was deducted a pount by referee Loughlin. McGowan was down again at the end of the round from a shot then a puch, but Kulakhmet escaped further warning as the bell sounded for the penultimate round.

The workrate and aggression that Kulakhmet began the bout with was completely gone by the ninth round. He was looking for a single shot instead of throwing clever combinations. However, just a minute in and he threw three or four shots that resulted in McGowan turning in a full circle to get away from the attack then slipped over moments later.

Somehow, McGowan was still standing strong in the final round, despite it looking impossible in the opening rounds. He has already proved his bravery and deserves to hear the final bell.

The last round was much the same, very one-sided, with McGowan in survival mode, but he seemed to suffer the worst of it in the first half of the fight.

Tursynbay Kulakhmet won on points 99-89, and picked up the WBC International Super-Welterweight Title in just his second professional contest.

With the help of a translator, Tursynbay praised the UK for it's boxing ability and history, thanked the fans and MTK for the opportunity, and said he wants to fight for a world title in 2021.

HÖRFA are proud sponsors of British Boxing News