John Ryder eager to face Canelo Alvarez: "If I am given the opportunity, I will try and take his head off"

John Ryder eager to face Canelo: "If I am given the opportunity, I will try and take his head off"

Published On Monday, July 13, 2020By Ben Davies
Related Tags: John Ryder, Canelo

Canelo Alvarez was in talks to fight Billy Joe Saunders, but the Briton withdrew

Canelo Alvarez (53-1-2 36 KOs) is looking to take to the ring once again in September after a period out due to the pandemic, with Britons Callum Smith (27-0-0 19 KOs) and John Ryder in the frame to face the Mexican fighter.

The WBA Super Middleweight champion is keen to face one of the top fighters in Las Vegas at a behind closed doors venue, and a bout with John Ryder (28-5-0 16KOs) looks increasingly likely for the top pound for pound fighter, despite his controversial defeat to Callum Smith in Liverpool.

The president of Golden Boy Eric Gomez, has revealed there are a number of opponents that they are in contact with regarding a fight for the superstar, and refused to rule out any options, despite conceding that a pay cut will need to be taken for the fight to take place in current conditions.

Gomez told Sky Sports: “It is more difficult now because of the restrictions. The borders are not all open, so it isn't easy to bring some fighters to the US. It all depends on the negotiations. We are not living in the world that we lived in last year. Canelo will be taking a significant pay-cut.

“It depends on the negotiations. Anybody willing to come to the table and be reasonable, he will fight. We are not discarding any of the top guys."

However, John Ryder appears to be in pole position to fight Canelo in September, and the London fighter already has a vast top-level pedigree, after holding the WBA interim super-middleweight title back in 2019, in addition to a hugely successful amateur career winning 30 out of 35 fights.

Despite losing to unbeaten Callum Smith back in November 2019, Ryder believes that he is justified to be given the opportunity over his British rival Smith.

When talking to Mirror Fighting, Ryder said: “I think if this fight comes off then that’s justice, that’s karma, that’s all served at once.

“With the coronavirus coming about, it’s worked in my favour because this Canelo fight is being spoken about, but even if it doesn’t come off for me or Callum then the potential for the rematch is huge as well.

“If travel restrictions aren’t getting lifted any time soon then surely it gives me the green light for the rematch as well. If it’s not a huge fight with Canelo that I get, then surely it should be the rematch with Callum Smith.”

Ryder also revealed his plans if given the opportunity to face Canelo in September and believes that his southpaw stance and height advantage will give him a different type of challenge but vowed to put on a show and beat the Mexican with just one professional defeat to his name.

He revealed to SecondsOut: “I’m in a good position with the WBA, I’m as game as anyone. If he wants it, he can get it. I’m coming off a good win and I feel that he would be interested in the fight.

“He [Canelo] has had problems with styles in the past, he isn’t a high work rate fighter, but he often hits you with big shots especially in later rounds and comes with a lot of flair.

“He’s number one for a reason, but I feel that on current form I could really cause him problems. I just want to take the biggest opportunities as and when they come, and if I am given the opportunity, I will try and take his head off.”

The ‘Gorilla’ seems to be the highest possibility option for Álvarez in the autumn, and both fighters are reportedly keen on making the event happen, providing restrictions allow for the travel arrangements to take place.

HÖRFA are proud sponsors of British Boxing News