The power of women conquers New York
WBC: "The “Celtic – Boricua Belt” will be awarded to the winner of the fight as a special gift and recognition from the world of boxing."
Women in boxing is taking a giant step this weekend as two undisputed world title fights will be hosted at iconic Madison Square Garden in New York.
This is the first time Women will be the main event at the Cathedral of Boxing, which has traditionally held some of the greatest fights in history, including Ali vs Frazier 1, Lewis vs Holyfield 1 and Hopkins vs Trinidad, which was the first public event after 9/11.
Katie Taylor from Ireland, the undisputed lightweight champion, will face the WBC and WBO featherweight champion Amanda Serrano from Puerto Rico in a highly anticipated match between the two P4P Empresses of boxing.
The WBC proudly joined in celebrating this magnificent and historic feat by presenting a brand-new commemorative belt for the winner of Taylor-Serrano, as well as a series of social responsibility activations in the city, to honour the Power of Women through WBC Cares:
– Visits to Museum and donation of the WBC Celtic-Boricua Belt Replica.
– Visit to the Eagle Academy for Young men of Harlem with Holt McCallany, Jelena Mrdjenovich, Raja Amasheh, Michael Woods. Iran Barkley, Heather Hardy, Sparkle Lee, Frankie Mendez, Elanora Mitiva and Nadim Salloum.
– Visit to the Boxing Amateurs at Sony Hall.
– Visit to Amateur Boxing at Car Museum.
– Support to “Give a Kid a Dream Foundation” at Gleason’s GYM with Bruce Silverglade.
The World Boxing Council released this statement: "The WBC, recognising the greatness of this epic and historic fight, has created the “Celtic – Boricua Belt” which features the flags and symbols of Ireland and Puerto Rico. This unique trophy will be awarded to the winner of the fight, as a special gift and supreme greatness recognition from the world of boxing."