'The Gypsy King' Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21KOs) has revealed that he will not fight again in 2020 amid an ongoing contract feud with rival Deontay Wilder (42-1-1, 41KOs).
The unbeaten two-time heavyweight champion of the world, whose last fight saw him sensationally stop Wilder in the seventh round of their rematch in February this year, had been expected to fight unbeaten German Agit Kabayel (20-0, 13KOs) in a homecoming clash at the Royal Albert Hall next month.
However, it appears that will now not happen, with the British star claiming his next bout would be not be until next year.
In a recent tweet, Fury said: 'The Gypsy King is returning in 2021. Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory.'
The Bronze Bomber had activated an immediate rematch clause in his contract after his defeat in February, but Fury had one on domestic rival Anthony Joshua (23-1, 21KOs) and unifying the division.
A potential fight pencilled in for July this year was scrapped due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the rematch clause Wilder activated has now expired, according to Fury's camp.
Fury's promoter Frank Warren said that a decision on whether a third fight will happen is due in the coming week.
A two-fight deal between Fury and Anthony Joshua is also being discussed for 2021, with Joshua set to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO belts against Kubrat Pulev at the O2 Arena on December 12.
However, the prospect of Britain's two most prominent heavyweights going toe-to-toe could be scuppered if Wilder gets his trilogy wish.
Joshua's upcoming fight will be his first in just over a year after the 31-year-old avenged his shock defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia.
Despite the Kabayel fight now being off the table, Warren says Fury is champing at the bit to get back in the ring, whoever the opponent is.
'He's been training very, very hard and he just wants to get back in the ring, so we're trying hard to make that happen,' said Warren.