Trainer and father Peter Fury has laid out a blueprint for Hughie Fury to return to world level – starting this Saturday night.
The former world heavyweight title challenger is back in action this weekend against dangerous and undefeated Canadian Chris Norrad (17-0, 8 KOs) at Manchester’s Victoria Warehouse – live on Channel 5.
Having suffered a nasty cut early in October’s showdown with Kubrat Pulev, Peter believes Hughie’s education is preparing him to climb to the very top of the sport.
Peter said: “He’s having four fights this year. He’ll be busy. Then there’ll be three more. Every couple of months, he’ll be out on Channel 5.
“Channel 5 is a fantastic platform not just for him but for all the young fighters on the undercard. The audience levels are phenomenal because it’s free-to-air.
“I don’t think the cut bothered him too much since the Pulev fight. He’s had the laser treatment on it and the eye looks absolutely fine. It’s all good and he’s been sparring without problems.
“It’s all a part of growing up and taking your instructions. A young fighter can make a fight harder than it is. He’s got lots of potential and just has to unlock it.
“Hughie went into the fight with Pulev injured. Kerry Kayes looked at it and said it would open but we had the fight and we make no complaints. He did the best he could do in a bad situation. He had no vision in one eye and still did the rounds.”
Hughie fought twice last year – his first outing a devastating fifth-round stoppage victory over Sam Sexton to claim the British title.