Kieran Smith marches on unbeaten

It was a frustrating week for Scot Kieran Smith (14-0) as scheduled opponent Adam Harper withdrew from their WBC International Silver super-welterweight title title fight in the final week, leaving the 'Chopper' with no one to fight, until the reliable Jan Balog (12-46-1), 36 from Czech Republic, stepped in to save the show.

His maiden title defence was altered to an eight-rounder and he added another stopage to his scoresheet, live on iFL TV, taking his tally to seven KOs in 14 contests.

'Chopper' said: "I’m glad to keep busy and it’s another win on the record. I was obviously supposed to defend my WBC International Silver title but my opponent pulled out on six days’ notice. Thankfully MTK still managed to get me an opponent which is the main thing as it’s good to stay active.

"It’s been tough over the last week after my opponent pulled out, but I was able to stay focused and get another win in this fight. I’ll have a bit of a rest now, but I’ll be back in the gym soon as every time I train I always want to push myself as hard as I can because boxing is my life.”

Michael McGurk (12-0) put in a great performance against Central Area super-welterweight champion Evaldas Korsakas (9-7-2) and was in control throughout the majority of the fight, with referee Kenny Pringle scoring the contest 79-74 in his favour.

25-year-old Scot, McGurk, said: "I’m feeling good as it was the first time I’ve done the eight rounds. Now it’s just about pushing on and getting the title fights and continuing to headline these cards. I’m not in the game to fight journeymen, I’d rather be fighting live opponents like that.

“My support were great and they always make sure they’re loud. It gets you going and gives you that extra boost. Now I want the big fights and want them now. There is no reason for the big fights not to happen, and I’d happily face any of the super-welterweights.”

Caldercruix super-middleweight David Brophy (22-2-1) defeated Vladimir Belujsky (5-2-1) 59-55 on points in his 25th contest.

The former Commonwealth champion commented: “It was a good fight for the fans. He was a tough opponent and was strong, but I started slow and wasn’t really happy. My maturity came on though and it showed later in the fight.

“He had a strong start but I had a stronger finish and that’s what it’s all about. I wanted to re-pay the fans with a great fight because they always follow me everywhere, and now hopefully we can kick on and get belts around my waist again.”

Another unfortunate boxer was Scott Allan (9-3-1) who was due to defend his Celtic bantamweight title against three-time British title contender Iain Butcher (19-4), who failed to make weight for their championship contest. Allan could have continued with a non-title contest with Butcher but declined due to the weight difference.

Instead the 26-year-old Butcher from Motherwell took on Irishman Carl McDonald (5-3), a Celtic and Irish champion, who turned up to spoil the party by flooring Butcher in the opening round. Butcher, a former WBO European flyweight champion, managed to rally back to win 58-56 on points.

Relieved, Butcher said:It was an entertaining fight. He was a last minute replacement so thanks to MTK Global for getting me a fight. It was good for myself to get out there and box in the same venue after my last fight and get back to winning ways.

“It’s a brilliant arena to come back into boxing, and it was good for my piece of my mind. I want the big fights now, and domestically there are some good fights out there. MTK Global have a few world champions at bantamweight too, so there are lots of options.”

Lewis Benson (11-2) defeated scored a shutout points win over six-rounds over Zoltan Szabo (25-18).

Benson mentioned: “I’ve got myself back in there with a win so I’m happy. I didn’t get myself in any danger and I boxed smart throughout the fight. I’ve got a monkey off my back now and I’m ready for the big fights.

“I won every round of that fight but I still know I’ve got more levels than that. There will be big opportunities for me and I’m going to be involved in these big fights, so I look forward to getting in the mix.”

Reece McFadden (2-0) stopped Stefan Sashev (5-20-1) after he cut him above the right eye in the second, had him down in the third, and eventually halted in the fourth and final round.

McFadden, cut himself in the final round, said: The opponent was a bit awkward with his head, and it seemed like he didn’t want to be in there as soon as he felt my power and my body shots because it was clearly bothering him a lot.

“I’ve got a cut but I thought it was a lot worse than it was, so I can’t complain. I’m looking forward to my wedding tomorrow, and I can’t wait to enjoy the honeymoon and then get fast-tracked towards titles.”

Debutant Jack Turner (1-0) defeated Stefan Nicolae (2-16) on points and said: “It was good to get the first one out of the way and experience the professional game. I didn’t feel like I boxed to the best of my ability because I’ve been out of the ring for so long, but I’m happy to be back boxing again.

“I’ve been in camp for a while so my mind has been on fighting for a long time. I’d never worn the gloves as a professional, but as soon as I put them on it felt great. I thought it would be a bit quicker but maybe the opponent just didn’t want to engage as much. All in all I was pleased with the win.”

There were also wins on the card at the Emirates Arena for Craig Morgan (4-0), Callen McAulay (7-0) and Nathaniel Collins (4-0).


Stay up to date at and on social media @mtkglobal