Dave Allen KO Nick Webb

Dave Allen shocks Nick Webb with big knockout

Published On Saturday, July 28, 2018By Tim Rickson

Dave Allen stuns Nick Webb with big knockout in the fourth-round

The White Rhino charges through the Lion to land British title shot

In a battle of heavyweights, Dave Allen (14-4-2), 26, pulled off a shocker with a fourth-round knockout of previously undefeated prospect Nick Webb (12-1), 30.

Webb was in control of the fight, using his jab to dictate the pace, pecking away at Allen in each round, looking to break him down gradually.

Following the opening round success, Webb started to land bigger punches in the second, but Allen was also able to land a few back, but with little effect.

Allen was pushing forward and never stopped coming, as is his custom, but was absorbing a lot of punishment along the way.

In the fourth segment, however, there was a sudden turn of events as the Conisbrough puncher landed a big right hand that sent Webb stumbling backwards. Moments later, Allen threw a left hook to the body in close followed by a thunderous overhand right that sent Webb crashing to the canvas for the first time in his career.

The Chertsey man was thrown through the ropes, unable to get to his feet with just seconds remaining in the round.

The win was unexpected, even promoter Eddie Hearn had openly stated that he was shocked by the the result and promised a win bonus for the big knockout.

Allen came into the British heavyweight title eliminator off the back of a TKO loss at the hands of Olympic gold medal winner Tony Yoka just last June in France.

Webb was riding high with a two-round demolition job of Ante Verunica last February on the Lawrence Okolie vs. Isaac Chamberlain at the O2 Arena in London.

Allen had accepted the fight on late notice to replace the cancelled clash between Kell Brook and Brandon Cook and has now secured himself a shot at Hughie Fury’s British heavyweight belt.

Prior to the Allen shock, Anthony Fowler (7-0) impressed the O2 crowd in his first step up in opposition against a game Craig O’Brien (8-1).

Despite a bright start, O’Brien was dazed a few times in the contest and struggled to gain success after the opening two rounds. Eight seconds into round six, Fowler unleashed a lead left hook which ended the fight immediately with O'Brien's head bouncing off the bottom rope.

The first bout of the night saw cruiserweight Richard Riakpohre (7-0) defeat an out-of-depth Elvis Dube to improve to 7-0.

Light-heavyweight Charlie Duffield (6-1) followed the opener by using a stiff jab and short solid bursts to wear down Reinis Porozovs. After round three, Porozovs retired on his stool improving Duffield’s record to 6-1 and still with all wins by knockout.

Former British light-heavyweight champion Frank Buglioni (22-3-1) returned to the O2 victorious against Emmanuel Feuzeu (10-8-2).

Momentarily finding himself in a war during round four, Buglioni eventually took his time and found his rhythm from round five onwards.

Buglioni’s sharp right hands to the body in the sixth were sufficient for Feuzeu’s corner to decide enough was enough.

Joshua Buatsi (7-0) landed the vacant WBA International light-heavyweight title with a first-round knockout.

Conor Benn (11-0) landed his first professional title with a unanimous decision win over former rival Cedrick Peynaud (6-6-3) to lift the WBA Continental welterweight belt.

To follow Nick on Twitter, click here @itsanickting

Nick would like to thank his sponsors Westlab; Time4Nutrition; Physiques Training; Windisor Classics Ltd; The Shore Group; Dudman Group and Tim Rickson