Double celebration for Charlie Shane

Published On Tuesday, October 10, 2017By British Boxing News
Related Tags: Charlie Shane
  • Super-middleweight wins British Challenge belt on October 7

  • Became a father just two days before title contest

  • Marches on unbeaten in five contests

  • Looks ahead to bigger titles fights in the New Year

 

Chatham’s Charlie Shane (5-0) headlined his first event at Mote Park in Maidstone on October 7 on an action-packed eight-fight card titled, ‘Judgement Day’.

 

The 26-year-old celebrated becoming a father for the first time just days before the event that saw him claim the British Challenge super-middleweight belt by defeating 59-fight veteran Lewis van Poetsch (6-52-1) by two points in their eight-round contest on the first weekend of October.

 

The southpaw had a tough time against “Poochi”, an experienced pro who has fought for the Challenge belt previously – in September last year he was edged by Paul Hilz in their super-middleweight International Challenge contest, again, by just two points.

 

Shane said of his performance, “He came to win, he was tough, it was a real good, tough fight and I enjoyed it. I know I won the fight because I hit him with the cleaner shots and his were just pitty-patty.


“I could’ve made the fight easier for myself but I’ve learnt loads from it and I only had a baby two days before so it became a double celebration!”

 

The super-middleweight from Chatham aims to have another couple of learning fights with new trainer, Charlie Rumbol, before moving up to bigger title fights.

 

“Gonna’ have a couple more six-rounders to keep on developing and then hopefully go for a big title fight soon,” he said.

 

Heavyweight action

There was heavyweight action on the same show with Dave Jones (8-0-1) stepping up in levels to face Dorian Darch (12-5-1), a man that had previously beaten Midlands and Southern Area champions in his career, as well as sharing the ring with Hughie Fury and Anthony Joshua in back-to-back fights.

 

The pair went at it hammer and tongs in a spectacular six-rounds of see-sawing, hard-hitting action that had the spectators on the edge of their seats.

 

Jones, 35-years-old from Queenborough, was the home fighter on the night with the Welshman travelling in from Aberdare.

 

The fight was a dramatic showdown that had everything included in it with the home fighter hitting the deck for the first time in his career in the second-round, courtesy of an overhand right from Darch, who was then on the receiving end of a crunching body blow in the third-round but didn’t quite take a knee.

 

Darch nullified his earlier knockdown when he had a point deducted after repeated warnings for holding and low blows.

 

The warring pair had to settle for stalemate, which was a career-first for each fighter – Jones remains unbeaten in nine bouts and Darch has just one defeat in his last six outings.

 

Post-fight, Jones respectfully said, “That is why I do this sport, what a tough fight! Got a draw, which I think was a fair result, we both give everything we had and, by the sounds of it, everyone loved it!”

 

Manager Joe Elfidh praised both combatants and mentioned that a rematch could be on the cards.

 

Clash of the Area Champions

Southern Area middleweight titleholder Grant Dennis (10-0) won the battle of the Area champions when he defeated Central Area titlist Darryl Sharp (5-21) on points.

 

Dennis said, “It was a routine win for me. I know that Darryl has never been stopped before so I used my movement and skills, and my fast hands.”

 

Manager Joe Elfidh said they are hoping for the English title shot next, which is due to be contested between Mick Hall and Elliot Matthews before the end of 2017.

 

Ex-England International gets a good test

Former Team GB boxer Luke Gibb (3-0) stepped up to six-rounds in just his third pro bout against Fonz Alexander (5-64), winning comfortably on points, displaying an array of flashy combinations and switch-hitting.

 

“Gibbo” was lively and energetic, switching stance this way and that, peppering in shots from all different angles, and thoroughly deserving the 60-55 scoring.

 

He described the fight as a “good test”.

 

Undercard


Two-time Southern Area challenger, Martin Hillman (10-4), 26, secured his 10th professional win in his 14th pro contest against Michael Barnor (14-15-3).

 

Both featherweights were on the receiving end of some heavy blows but the Sidcup man prevailed over the 32-year-old Ghanaian 59-56.


Unbeaten super-featherweight Chris Matthews (8-0) marches on unbeaten with a points win over 23-year-old Londoner, Jules Phillips (1-8).

 

Chelmsford’s 30-year-old featherweight Tom McGinley (4-1) improved his record with a first-round stoppage after flooring debutant Kieran Holman (0-1) with a huge left hook to the temple in the opener.

 

It was hard lesson for the debutant to learn on his pro bow, but he can take inspiration from his conqueror, who also conceded on his debut, but has gone from strength to strength since.

 

English super-bantamweight champion Josh Kennedy (9-0) didn’t fight as planned, he was due to perform in his home county for the first time in his three-year career, but his opponent withdrew at the last-minute.

 

The next show at Mote Park is already scheduled for February 24th.


For tickets to the next show, visit https://www.facebook.com/JEsportsnetwork/ or call 07883 943994

 

JE Promotions would like to thank Kent Trade Frames - Campbell Nutrition - Swerve City - Basement159 - RoofDec - 1ClickPrint - Online - Invicta Gym and PR Manager Tim Rickson