Heavyweight Nick Webb (12-1) returns to action on September 29 against Welsh dangerman Dorian Darch (12-7-1) in a six-rounder on a stacked Siesta Boxing card at Bracknell Leisure Centre.
The fight, which takes place just six days after the Chertsey puncher’s 31st birthday, represents the first stage of a planned rebuild process following his sole career defeat to David Allen (13-4-2) at the O2 Arena last August, a journey he hopes will lead to a rematch with his sole pro conqueror.
He said of his next opponent, “He always comes to fight, doesn’t turn up just to lay down, so he’ll try and put it on me, so it will be a good fight. He’s the same sort of size and stature as Dave Allen so it’s a good fight to come back on really.”
Darch, 34 from Aberdare, has lost five of his last 10 fights so carries a checkered record going into his meeting with Webb. The only draw on his ledger came last October against then-unbeaten Dave Jones (8-0) in an all-out war that saw the home fighter decked by Darch in the second-round but somehow rallied back to even the score to 56-56 on points. Since then, he has suffered back-to-back losses to English champ Daniel Dubois (5-0) and Mark Bennett (1-0), who challenges for the Central Area heavyweight title in his next fight.
Former national amateur finalist Webb saw his previously perfect record shattered by Dave Allen when an overhand right landed flush on his temple in the third round of their British heavyweight title eliminator, live on Sky Sports Box Office. Webb had been comfortably winning the contest before the pivotal punch.
Keen to improve, he said, “I’ve been working on my mistakes in the gym, I know I’m still learning, so I’ve just got to make sure I’m ready this time, just make sure that everything is ready – that’s physically and mentally. I've been working on a better defence mostly and being injury free now, I can release some of my power in this fight. I plan to sit down on my power more and keep up a tight defence. I’m just going to get back to me tearing people apart again!”
The Siesta Boxing card, titled ‘Bracknell Boxing Carnival’, will be headlined by South African-born welterweight talent Luther Clay (9-1), 22 from Bracknell, as he tackles Frenchman Yahya Tlaouziti (13-3-3).
On the undercard, super-welterweight George Lamport (5-0), 21 from Farnborough, takes on fellow unbeaten prospect Konrad Stempkowski (8-0), 35 from Reading; 21-year-old heavyweight Naylor Ball (5-0) meets Devon-based Kamil Sokolowski (4-12-2) over six-rounds; super-featherweight Andre Grant (3-0), 29 from Farnborough, goes up against Luke Fash (2-42-2); Irishman Rohan Date (4-0-1) drops down to welterweight for his fifth paid outing against a fellow undefeated talent in Bulgarian Reyhan Todorov (3-0); Scotsman Derek Renfrew (5-0-1) looks to continue his unbeaten campaign at super-middleweight against Portuguese Mancunian Yailton Neves (3-13); and Danish middleweight Landry Kore (8-0) faces Christian Haskin Gomez (7-36-4).
To follow Nick on Twitter, click here @itsanickting
For tickets to the next fight, please call 07792 371 631