Unbeaten London lightweight prospect Kofi Donker is brand-new to the professional game and, by his own admissions, is still learning the process and business side of the sport.
The 135-pounder is unknown outside of his circle of friends and family, and the die-hard York Hall regulars, but has plans to reach 10-0 and challenge for the Southern Area lightweight title as soon as possible. The ambitious go-getter plans to make a big noise in the transition from prospect to titleholder, so BBN decided to list 10 interesting facts about the fascinating South Londoner:
1. Kofi was born on March 20, 1989 in Plumstead, London, and is the oldest of six children, consisting of three younger sisters and two little brothers. Growing up, he told everyone that he wanted to be a ninja when he was older!
2. He lists Gerald McClellan and James Toney as his all-time favourite boxers, also adding Ryan Rhodes and Ricky Hatton as his favourite British fighters.
3. Kofi’s inspiration to start boxing was when he met Mike Tyson in Woolwich in January 2000 when just 10-years-old.
4. Having been expelled from Crown Woods Secondary School when he was only 14, he has plans to open up his own academy one day to teach boxing and educate wayward children.
5. A meeting with boxing coach Steve Roach is who Kofi attributes to keeping him out of trouble and on the straight and narrow. He began boxing in amateur tournaments and soon reached the ABA Novices finals, finishing his amateur career on 29 wins from 43 bouts.
6. As an amateur, Kofi represented London on three occasions and fought abroad in Ireland, France and Thailand, and soon earned the nickname 'Poison' due to his stinging shots which, as a fan of 'Poison' Junior Jones - a two-weight World champion - he happily accepted, despite the alias not being as showbiz as he would have liked!
7. Managed by Steve Goodwin, he is currently 29-years-old and trained at Rooney's Gym with trainer Archie Dublin. The famous London-based gym then closed down, meaning that he is now looking for a new base.
8. His ultimate ambition as a pro is to win the British title and is adamant he will not be boxing past the age of 36.
9. Adept at all combat, Kofi has taken part in one MMA cage fight and also a K1 kickboxing contest, winning both bouts in the third-round.
10. He is a huge hip-hop fan, counting Nas, 2Pac and Mobb Deep as his favourite artists